Welcome to Frontier Baseball’s 2020 season! My name is Coach Delon Walker and I will be your child’s Manager for the division A Braves. I am very excited to have the opportunity to coach your child’s team and can’t wait for the season to officially begin. Listed below is general information about my philosophies on coaching as well as basic information to help you get started.
My overall philosophy when it comes to coaching is not only teaching your child the basic fundamentals of baseball, but to do so in the most positive and supportive way possible, with the kids enjoyment as my top priority.
- Teach the basic fundamentals necessary to be successful at this level as well as prepare your child for next season.
- Teach kids to respect their coaches and to always support their teammates.
- Learn to compete against the game itself not the scoreboard.
- To help have as much fun as possible and develop a love for the game.
Playing Time and Positions:
In this league and division A, the focus is on player development. Score is kept but standings are not. Throughout the majority of the season, each child will be rotated on a regular basis through the different positions. A child cannot develop their skills properly and learn to truly enjoy the game if they only get to experience a few positions throughout the season. Exceptions will be made in situations where there are safety issues and possible tournament play at the end of the season. Otherwise, kids will be rotated regularly.
- Always come to practice and games with a positive attitude.
- Respect your coaches, parents, and teammates.
- Have fun and always give your best effort.
- Practice at home with friends and family.
- Please do your best to have your child arrive at the scheduled time for games and practices. Any team sport is more fun when everyone is participating at the same time not to mention valuable instruction time is lost when someone is missing or late. Lot’s of time and effort go into planning games and practices so please contact me if you are unable to attend so I can plan accordingly.
- Get involved. One of the things I enjoy most about this activity is the ability for my family to do something together. I know how time consuming this activity can be but it is my experience that parents and families have the most fun when everybody is involved on some level. There will be opportunities to help the team in a number of different ways. I will keep you posted with how you can help.
- Practice with your child. Practicing playing baseball with your child not only helps your child develop quicker but is a whole lot of fun. A lot of the drills and skills we learn can be practiced at home with little skill from the parent. The important thing is you are taking an active interest in your child. Something that he will remember and appreciate for years to come.
We will have 2 practices a week. Our first practice will be this Saturday from 11:30 am to 12:45 pm at Gonsalves Park Field #2. Our second practice will be Friday, January 31, 2020. I will give you more information about this practice on Saturday. Please have your child wear comfortable clothing to practices. An extra pair of baseball pants or sweats works well, just no jeans or shorts please.
If you have any of the items listed below, please bring them to each and every practice. If you do not have some or all of the items listed below there are several locations where you can purchase them. Dick’s Sporting Goods and Big 5 are 2 local places that offer a good selection at decent prices. The league has coupons for Dick’s Sporting Goods if you would like some. I will bring them on Saturday. If you have any questions about the type of equipment to purchase, please ask myself for recommendations!!!! There are many choices when it comes to choosing the proper equipment. I want to be sure the equipment you choose is appropriate for your child.
- Bat (optional)
- Cleats (baseball shoes)
- Athletic Cup (McDavid is a brand they sell at Dick’s Sporting Goods/Big 5 that works well. You can even purchase a combo pack that includes a brief. (Recommended) They also sell additional briefs so you have a few extra available to you so you don’t have to keep washing the same ones over and over again.
- Equipment bag (optional, but necessary to keep all equipment in one spot)
- Water bottle
The league, as part of your registration provides us with a Team Shirt and Cap. We are responsible for the rest of the uniform pieces. I will bring a sample with me on Saturday for you to look at it. They include:
- White pants
- Navy Blue belt
- Navy Blue socks
- Navy Blue or Red ¾ sleeve shirt
Purchasing an extra set of baseball pants can be very useful especially during busy weeks with multiple games and practices. It is not mandatory but highly recommended.
Please download the Sports Signup Play app in the App/Google Store. It’s a FREE app that Frontier uses for the league (i.e. practice cancellations, upcoming events) and also a great way for our team to communicate. I will send out invites if you don’t already have it downloaded. Your sign in will be the same as your sign in for the league.
That’s about it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. See you all on Saturday.
Division A Manager